Wednesday 24 October 2012

Child's Prayers

Sorry about the lack of blogging for the last few days,  it has been beyond hectic.

I was thinking today about prayer.

My daughter loves to pray. She will sit and go on and on telling God what she is thankful for. I love to listen to her, it brings such joy and reminds me of all the little things that he has blessed me with.
I mean really, how many of us remember to thank God for our eyes. She does. She often goes through all her body parts saying "And thank you God for eyes, for ears, for toes, for knees, ..."  All are very important and our lives would be very different without them.
Little A normally goes through a long list of people she is thankful for like all of her aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents. Then she lists off some of her favourite things, like her books, her clothing, her toys, her room, her toothbrush.  Really everything that pops into her head while she is praying she says thank you for.

I love that 90% of her prayers to God are things that she is thankful for. She sits there praising him for how wonderful and giving he is.  Then we finish off the prayer by blessing her and praying protection and the blood of Jesus over her and her life, and as the Holy Spirit to be with her.

Isn't it great though that her prayer is all about being thankful.  I want to raise my kids to go against what society is teaching them, what the world is like.  I want to teach them to live with an attitude of thanksgiving.  Teach them to be thankful for what they have and not upset about what others have. I dont want to raise my kids to feel entitled or greedy. I pray that God would bless them in their lives but that they would learn that blessings are from God.

I want to learn from my daughter. She has it right.  She knows that its not about telling God what we want, he already knows and provides for us all our needs.  Its about saying thank you to the loving God that continually showers us with grace, mercy, and blessings.


 People were also bringing babies to Jesus for him to place his hands on them. When the disciples saw this, they rebuked them.  But Jesus called the children to him and said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”
Luke 18:15-17


At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.  Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.
Matthew 11:25-26


Blessings to you today, And I pray that God will give you a thankful and childlike heart this week as you search to know him more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment