Friday 2 November 2012

Kids Ministry

Start children off on the way they should go,
    and even when they are old they will not turn from it.

Proverbs 22:6

I just signed on to help lead in the sunday school at my church.  I have done this before with the older children, before I had kids, but since having Little A I haven't helped much. 

I love teaching children. I believe children are our future and we need to put resources into teaching them and training them the way they should go. 

I was raised by two people who really believed that children were important.  They helped with sunday school often and even were the children's pastors at one church we went to.  My parents also worked at a christian summer camp, they would either direct all of the children's activities or would be the pastors for the week. 

My dad also volunteered at an inner city children's ministry every Sunday for a very long time.  I started to help out there when I was twelve.  I knew that it was worth it to get lice more times than I could count, to have dirty messy kids climbing all over me, and to hear the horrible things that they were going through.  I knew that it was worth it. That it was what I should do, and what God wants us to do. 

I was raised up to believe that children are important. That it is important to teach them and to show them love. Isn't that what Jesus did. He called the children to him, he would not let the disciples send them away, and he showed them love, sat with them and healed them. 

I want to show my children and those that I will be with at Sunday school that they are important. That God values them. That He loves them. 

I dont want my kids to only ever see that I spend time helping at church though.  I want them to know that it isnt just the kids at church that God loves. 
  
I think that it is important for our children to be around those that do not believe.  So that they are tested, so they do have to stand up and defend their faith and their beliefs. That they will have to come home from school someday and ask me questions about God, so that they can grow in their faith.  

I really value the lessons I learned from working with the children in the inner city. It took a lot to show them love sometimes, it was tiring and difficult. We would often get home after helping and just sit in the car for a few minutes to pray and let it go. It was very overwhelming. 

But in that I saw God. I was filled with an overflowing of his love for those kids. When my love and patience ended I would pray and he would fill me to overflowing again. He did amazing things. He loved loves those kids. 

I want opportunity like that for my kids.  

I pray that God would show them his heart and his hands. That they would be his hands in world. 


Oh goodness I hope that makes sense and resonates with someone.  I know that my thoughts are scrambled, I am sorry.  Thats just how they come out sometimes.  



An argument started among the disciples as to which of them would be the greatest.  Jesus, knowing their thoughts,took a little child and had him stand beside him.  Then he said to them, “Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For it is the one who is least among you all who is the greatest.”
Luke 9:46-48


Then people brought little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them. Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”  When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there.
Matthew 19:13-15

This man, my father, knows how to show a kid love. (picture is a little old)
When he comes to visit he spends all his time with the grandkids, on the floor,
sore knees and all. He has to nap when the kids do because they tucker him out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment