Tuesday 27 November 2012

Nana's Spiced Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Our church does bible study groups we call life groups, because we "do life together." The group that hubby and I are involved with, is going to be dropping off about 12 dozen cookies and treats to a place called Riverside Mission. The Mission will be serving a Christmas meal to those in need and we are supplying some of the treats.

So Little A and I had a wonderful time yesterday baking a few dozen cookies. I thought that I would share the recipe with you.

The recipe comes from hubbies Nana. She is such a wonderful woman and loves to cook and bake for us.  Any family gathering is blessed with goodies from Nana and she always makes the most amazing meals.  She loves to bless her family.

We only live a few blocks away from Nana and Papa right now. I am just starting to realize how different things will be once we move. We will no longer be within walking distance and it makes me very sad to think about not being able to just stop in to see them on our walks to the park.

Nana and Papa have been wonderful examples to their family and others. They are strong followers of Jesus and have lived their lives walking with him.  Their faith has impacted their family for generations and we have been so incredibly blessed to have had Little A be able to spend so much time with them, as well as ourselves.


Anyway now that I am fighting back tears because of the realization of being a little farther away, here is her amazing recipe that she has allowed me to share with you.


Spiced Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup White Sugar
1 1/3 Cup Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Cloves
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
2 1/2 Cups Oatmeal
1 Cup Raisins
1 Cup Softened Margarine
1 Egg
1 tsp Vanilla

Preheat oven to 350'. 

Mix Dry ingredients until well blended. 

Add Egg, Margarine, and Vanilla. Mix well. 

Form into balls then press flat. Place on ungreased Baking Sheet.   (as you can see in the photos I used parchment paper to line the sheet. I just moved the paper with cookies still on, to the counter then replaced it with another.) 

Bake for 10 minutes.  Allow to cool on pan before moving or lifting. 

Makes approx. 4 dz. 








Little A and I had so much fun making these together. They are a perfect cookie to make with a child. All of the ingredients are easy to count out together. She loved getting to dump each measured ingredient into the bowl and then stir the dry ingredients. She helped me roll them into balls (great practice for fine motor skills) and then flatten them on the sheet (her favourite part).

Of course, despite my efforts, Little A managed to grab a large handful of dough when I went to grab the cookie sheet. I turned around to find her shoving the giant handful in her mouth.  She was so proud of herself for being able to reach the bowl (that i had placed presumably out of reach), and she was excited to be like daddy. Her response to my scolding was, " I eat it like daddy."

I hope that you enjoy.  I have loved these cookies ever since the first time I ate them. Actually I am pretty sure the first time I tried one was also the day I was introduced to Nana and Papa. She always has a stash of these in the freezer just waiting to be shared.




No comments:

Post a Comment