Thursday 29 November 2012

Raise them in the Word


The other day I was talking to my dad about how important it is for our children to be raised with the word of God.  

Unless the Lord builds the house,
    the builders labor in vain.

Psalm 127:1

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:16

After our conversation, I opened up the bible on my phone while Little A and I were eating lunch. The verse of the day was Psalm 136:1. I read it aloud to Little A and then we practiced it a few times together.  Since then she has been able to recite it with some prompting.  She totally knows how to do it on her own but refused to do it when asked.  I have heard her do the whole thing while trying to fall asleep at naptime and bedtime.  

Give Thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever. 

Psalm 136:1

If you are still thinking your kids are too young to start pumping them full of verses I fully disagree.  I think that we should be immersing our children in His words from the beginning of their lives.  We have a great opportunity to instill good values and verses that will help them through many issues in their lives. 


I used to have horrible nightmares as a child. There were many verses that my parents taught me that I knew off by heart, that were of great comfort to me when i felt alone and afraid. Verses that I would use to fight back against attacks of the enemy and that would restore peace and joy to my soul.  I want to teach my children and equip them with the sword of the Spirit. So that when they are in need they can stand firm in the Truth, the Word of the Lord. 

I have hidden your word in my heart
    that I might not sin against you.

Psalm 119:11

For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
Hebrews 4:12


Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.  Put on the full armor of God,so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.  For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powersof this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.  Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place,  and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.
Ephesians 6:10 

Isnt that exactly what we want?
To equip our children with what they need so that they do not sin against God and so they can wield the sword of the Spirit. 



Steve Green makes some great CD's entitled Hide 'em in Your Heart. They are a great resource and can be played during playtime. Your kids can be playing and be picking up on the scriptures without even knowing it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment