Wednesday 22 May 2013

The Boy Thing

I am new to this whole "boy" thing. Already, even though Little E is only 10 months old, he shows that he is a boy.  He is rougher than his sister and he already has gotten hurt more than she ever has. It blows me away how different they are and I know that it will only become more and more evident as they grow older.

I grew up in a house full of women. My poor father had four women that were hormonal and crazy and were normally all crazy at the same time (if you know what I mean . )  Dad had lots of hobbies to keep him out of the house and away from the insanity, but I am sure there were lots of times that he wished he had a son to share his hobbies with.   Now, he is blessed with 3 sons that have married into the family and he seems very happy to take them out hunting, shooting and building.

It is so very different having a little boy, I have nothing to go by since I have never been around a boy as he grows up. I have babysat a ton of boys but it is so different being the mom.

When we were pregnant with Little A, we decided to find out the sex of the baby. They told us a girl and we both started to cry. Hearing the sex of the baby somehow made everything so much more real. We left the ultrasound clinic and got into the car. We hugged, we kissed, we looked at the little picture of our cute little baby girl.  And then it hit me.

"We were going to have a teenage girl someday!" I cried out to Hubby.

 Girls are mean. Growing up I was rarely friends with girls. And when I was friends with them it always was  horrible, we would fight, we would tease, and we would judge. Even with my sisters it was the same. With them we would fight and tease and judge but if anyone else did it we would band together. " I can be mean to my sister, but if you do it watch out."

As we drove home, reality set in and I started to have a bit of a melt down. "I am not ready to be a parent. I can't be the mom of a girl. Someday she is going to hate me. She could end up being mean and crazy and rebellious. "  

"Your going to have to buy a gun!" I told Hubby through tears and hysterics.

Thankfully, Hubby is calm cool and collected most of the time and he just laughed at me and told me to calm down. He reminded me that I have never hated my mother. That I never was that mean, crazy or rebellious. He encouraged me and told me that I would be a great mom and that we would just take it a day at a time. No need to worry about teen years before she is even born.


See, I was not so frightened of having a boy.  I was aware of the fact that I would have no idea what I was doing, but it really didn't scare me so much while I was pregnant.  Maybe that was because I didn't have much time to think about it with a 9 to 18 month old baby running around and going a mile a minute.

But now that he is here and his "boyness" is starting to show more and more everyday, I am starting to wonder how on earth I can really train this little man to be a man of God that lives daily with integrity and love.

Thankfully, I have an amazing man that just so happens to live with us and is the other parent to our special kids. God really knew what he was doing when he made both man and woman. We are so different and fit so well together. Where I fail he excels and where he fails (like taking care of vomit and bowel movements,  seriously if our kids vomit so will hubby (thankfully it hasn't happened yet but we have had some close calls)) I excel.

Hubby is a great example for both of our children because he can teach E man to be like him and he can teach Little A what kind of man she should look for.

Also, I am glad to have this great book that helps to train little men in the ways they should go.  It talks about having righteous anger and when to hold back or hold your tongue. It talks about love and wisdom and honor. It talks about being a warrior and a hero. It tells what kind of wife to look for and what kind of husband to be. And has great stories of how God has used men and women, young and old,  for His great purpose.

Thankfully we already have multiple copies of this book in our house so I didn't have to go out and spend a fortune on any of those other parenting books.


(I hope that you caught on that I was talking about the bible.)

I am so excited to read some of the amazing stories in that great book to my kids.   Stories of David, Moses, Abigail, Ruth, Solomon, Jonah, Sampson, and Jesus.

Honestly, the more I worry about my children's character and who they will be, the more stories God has brought to mind to show them Godly character and great things that God has done with his people. No parenting book necessary...well one I guess.

Way more fun to climb up a slide than go down it. (his 2nd time playing with this slide)


No comments:

Post a Comment