Sunday 23 June 2013

Wise Woman

My mom does this thing lately that makes me crazy.  

She tells me wise things that are opposed to my behaviour or attitudes. 

Isn't that annoying?! ( That was said with sarcasm)


My mom is so wise, understanding and forgiving. She has had so many wonderful and difficult life experiences that she has triumphed with a smile on her face and a firm foundation under foot.

Mom is never shy about offering her words of wisdom but she does it in such a way that she does not offend.  She is careful in choosing her words and does not say them out of pride but out of love.

Over the past 6 months, Mom's correction and guidance has mostly been about how I sound.  The way that I say things can sound short tempered and unkind, especially toward my hubby.  I am aware that my hormones after pregnancy have had a lot to do with it, but it is no excuse.

It is always hard to hear correction.  It is not something that comes easy to me, and I am sure I am not alone in that.

But I have been trying to teach my children and those that I babysit, that we need to listen to wise counsel and to offer wise counsel when someone is not following God's word.


The way of a fool is right in his own eyes,
But he who listens to counsel is wise.
Proverbs 12:15

Thankfully I have many wonderful people in my life that I feel like God has blessed with great wisdom.  They are able to speak into our lives and to offer counsel and guidance where needed, even when we are not asking for it. 

Hubby and I have also come to a place in our lives where we are finally able to see the wisdom in others and actually take their guidance. I really try not to be the kind of person that is stuck in my own way and not open to other points of view, but I think there are times that we all slide back into that teenage way of thinking.  

I have to say, I thank God that I am not always right and that I have made a lot of mistakes and had lots of learning experiences because of them. 



Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise—  “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.”
 Ephesians 6:1-3

Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good,  and so train the young women to love their husbands and children,  to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled. 
Titus 2:3-5

For lack of guidance a nation falls,
    but victory is won through many advisers.

Proverbs 11:14

Listen to advice and accept discipline,
    and at the end you will be counted among the wise.

Proverbs 19:20 




No comments:

Post a Comment