Wednesday 18 September 2013

Cellular Freedom


No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
1 Corinthians 10:13 

A few years back Hubby and I decided that instead of going the normal route and getting a land line for our new home, we would just both have cell phones.  We had both had cells in the past but were in need of new phones and both of us had been on pay as you go type plans.  

We made sure to have good long distance coverage on our phone plans, so that we could still call our family and friends out of town without paying a fortune.  Then we set out picking phones. 
Thats my sister, isn't she cute :)

Both of us got Iphones. We were both very excited to get some great apps and fun new games.  

I wish someone had stopped us before we got them and shook us back to reality. But all we ever heard was how wonderful the Iphone was and how great this app or that app was.  

Biggest mistake of the last few years?   HAVING AN IPHONE!

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed it. And I am sure it would have been just as big of a mistake if it was any other kind of "smart" phone. 

What a waste of half of my brain, my attention, and my time. 

If we all stopped and seriously looked at how much time we actually spend on our phones distracted from the things that are actually important and happening all around us, we would be appalled.  

So, today I did it. Today I got rid of every app on my phone ( well all but my bible app and some for the kids). It is now just a phone. There are no games or apps calling my name and pulling me from what is actually important to me.  

I have tried to do this once before but to a much lesser extent. I got rid of all "unnecessary" apps and just left all the ones that actually get used.   But really that didn't keep me from using the apps that were there.  This time I went all in and I am so excited. 

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
Philippians 4:8

There are always so many things in this world to distract us from the things that we should be focusing on.  Philippians 4 lays it out for us about what we should be thinking about and holding onto.  But we often move away from focus on those things and allow all of the darkness of this world to sneak in and cloud our vision.  

In context that passage gives us so much more to think about.  It offers us something greater than all of the distractions that could pull at our focus.  


Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
Philippians 4:4-9


1 comment:

  1. This is challenging! I have been tallying up how much time I waste unknowingly and we've been setting some new boundaries. It's overwhelming for sure! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete