Friday 22 November 2013

Christmas Excitement


I am so excited for Christmas, I just have to say it.   


We have done nothing to start preparing for Christmas here in our house though. There are no decorations up and the only reason I am nearly done my Christmas shopping is because really I don't like Christmas shopping and I have been looking for deals and sales since before the summer. Well, its because I don't like shopping for Christmas with all of the people who have left it last minute and are frantically running through the stores.  


What is really getting me excited about Christmas is that my kids are starting to exclaim "Happy Birthday Jesus!" with every house decorated in Christmas lights. We started this fun tradition with Little A last year, she was always so excited to see the lights and we told her that they were to remind us that Jesus' Birthday was coming.   It has continued on since last year and I have actually really enjoyed the few houses that have left up their lights all year since it keeps the kids celebrating Jesus' Birthday.  The kids are also very excited about the cupcakes that we are making for Jesus' Birthday party, Little A has decided that he would probably like strawberry cupcakes with strawberry icing (this is something she made up and has never had them before). 


The second reason that I am getting more excited is that with every song about Christmas that the kids hear, they ask me questions about the story of Jesus. 


So far this week we have not only talked about Mary being Jesus' mom and that she had to have her baby in a barn not a hospital like mommy. (The look on Little A's face was pretty priceless with this one, she was shocked and slightly disgusted) 



Today I had the pleasure of discussing the Little Drummer Boy song with the kids.  Little A and E Man loved listening to this song and "pa-rum-pa-pum-pum"ming along. 
Little A was so intrigued with the whole story told through the song. I told her that it was just a story but that there was really people who brought Jesus gifts. And then we got to talk all about the wise men and their gifts. 


We also had an interesting discussion about baby Jesus and big grown up Jesus. For some reason Little A has it in her head that they are two different people.  So we talked about how Jesus grew up and how once he became bigger he started to do God's work and then died on the cross for us. 

Then, to my surprise she asked with a very serious and sad look on her face, "But why did he have to die mommy?"


She looked so sad, I felt a little like I was ruining this exciting story of Christmas and new life of a baby king.  But within an instant I was reminded that without Easter there would be no reason for Christmas. 


Without the death of the Saviour, there could be no forgiveness. 


In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

Hebrews 9:22


How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!
 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.
Hebrews 9:14-15

I told Little A that Jesus died for our sins because without his blood we could not have been forgiven.  She nodded sternly in agreement and went on her way. 


I know that everyone has wonderful, happy things that they love about Christmas, I just feel so blessed that my family and I have something so wonderful to celebrate that means more than just presents and family time. 

Blessings. 
This is the photo from our Christmas Card, from 3 years ago! (thats Little A in my belly)
We made those Ugly Christmas Sweaters ourselves

No comments:

Post a Comment