Monday 6 January 2014

My One Resolution

I sat down the other day to think of some resolutions for this new year.  This is not something that I normally do, or at least do well. I have on occasion chosen a resolution and went at it hard and heavy for about a month or so before it died out.   

As I sat thinking of all of the things that I could do better this year:
~ be more involved at church
~spend more time in prayer
~spend more time outside with my kids (especially in the snow, I hate being cold so they miss out on playing outside while its really cold, unless Hubby takes them out)
~ read more & study more 
~ go on more dates with Hubby

Then it finally hit me.  The best thing I can do this year, the thing that I can do that will actually make a difference is this:


Love God, 
Live like Christ, 
Do what He made me to do. 


That's it.  That's all folks. 
My resolutions really just need to be those things and everything else will fall into place. 

That is how we are supposed to live anyway, aren't we?

There are so many times in our lives that we feel the pressure of being more perfect, more like someone else. We feel like we need to do more and be more.   But what we really need to be doing is spending more time Loving God and letting His love shine through us, making us More Like Christ, and causing us to walk out what He has planned and created us for. 

All of the resolutions that I was adding to my list of things to do better, are good things.  But even though they are intended for good, if we are doing them out of our own selfish desires to seem more Godly or more "perfect",  than they are a hindrance and not a help. 

Looking at my first list of resolutions, they are all attainable things.  It should be easy to get more involved in church, be with my kids and date my Hubby.   But, those things will flow naturally when we are Loving God and Living more like Christ.    Those activities will be easy when I am doing what He made me to do. 

We don't need to think about what we can do better.   We need to think of what we need to get rid of, walk away from, and let go of in our lives.   
When we get rid of our distractions we can focus on God and spend time basking in His love.  
When we walk away from negative relationships and unhealthy habits we have more time to Live Like Christ. 
When we let go of our need to be perfect, our guilts and our baggage, we can actually Walk in what we were Called to. 


So, What are you resolving to do this year?



No comments:

Post a Comment