Tuesday 14 January 2014

Nana's Glazed Orange Cookies


I have been meaning to share this recipe with you for a very long time.  I made them a while back with a big mess and a lot of help from Little A, but now that my stash of Christmas Baking has been just about depleted, I need to whip up another batch and thought I would share. 

So, without much ado, here are the cutest little chubby fingers helping me to make some very tasty cookies. 

So excited to crack the egg all by herself

Thankfully I had the forethought to use a different bowl. 

Washing up...then playing in the sink with the bubbles.  

She didn't want to use a knife to flatten the top of the measuring spoon,  I guess
she has seen mommy using her hand in a hurry too many times. 

A little flour on the floor (and counter and the stool she is on)  is good for ya. 

I spy : two pink ducks, a baby doll, and the baby dolls bottle
along with the rest of the mess in my kitchen. 


She loved trying to get the orange zest. It took her a very long time to get a
very small amount but she had a lot of fun and was so proud of herself. 

Squeeeeze!!   Real orange juice is better than the rest. 




I prefer to only bake them for about 10-11 minutes so they aren't too crisp. 







Nana's Glazed Orange Cookies

3/4 Cup Crisco 
1 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
2 Eggs
2 Cups Sifted Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
pinch Salt
11/2 tsp grated Orange Rind

Beat shortening and sugar until well blended. Mix in eggs. 
Stir in flour and remaining ingredients. 
Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheet. 
Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes depending on desired crispness. 
Spread on a spoonful of topping as soon as cookies are removed from the oven.  
Then allow to cool on the pan.

Topping:
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Orange Juice
1/2 tsp Orange Rind ( or more if you like) 




Just like most of Nana's cookies, these taste awesome frozen. But they are also great fresh with a big glass of milk or a nice cup of tea.  





No comments:

Post a Comment